Friday, February 8, 2013

Snorkeling, Whales and Dinner Cruise

Day 3 was a pretty busy day here in Maui.  We started out in search of snorkeling equipment to rent.  We ended up buying one set at a store and renting another set at Boss Frog's, a popular place around here that rents all sorts of stuff.  After getting our gear, we came back and slathered on the sunscreen and then hit the beach - just a short walk from our hotel.  It took us a while, but we eventually got the hang of breathing with our faces in the water.  The water was really nice, albeit salty!  I tried out the new underwater camera (Christmas present from Michael and Casey!) and found that it wasn't quite as easy as one would think.  The goggles were a bit foggy and the fish were a little hard to pick out in the view finder.  After I figure out how to post pics from the "other" camera, you will see what I mean.  We did see quite a few fish, some neat coral... and lots of other people snorkeling!

After we had enough snorkeling, we came back and had some lunch and went for a walk.  We saw several sea turtles playing in the surf and getting tossed around - crazy things.  Around 3:30, we headed for Pier 44 in Ma'alaea Harbor for our Dinner/Sunset/Whalewatch Cruise.  (Tim and I both went for an appetizer of Dramamine - just in case!)  It must have done the trick because we had a fantastic time, saw lots of whales, had a great dinner, and saw a beautiful sunset.  Our dinner companions were from Nebraska and we had a nice chat with them.

 Grilled macadamia crusted ono - delicious!

 Two whales playing in the ocean!


 Tim trying a new talent...

 Some wildlife around the hotel.

 Try saying that one!  Dawn, do you remember that name?


 This "pog" juice is available all day for free in the lobby of the hotel... yum!



4 comments:

  1. You two really know how to make the most of a vacation! The snorkling sounds great. We keep avoiding the dinner cruises - but now that we know dramamine works, we can start looking for one again. Thanks for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, you should definitely try a dinner cruise - maybe on an inter-coastal waterway first. We went yesterday - last minute- because there are supposed to be 20 -- 25ft. waves coming on Sunday (how do they know that?!?). It was a little wavy at times yesterday, but not too bad. As long as I was looking out at the water, it was OK. Getting our dinner down below was a little tricky...

      Delete
  2. Kathy & Tim,
    I enjoyed reading your awesome blog this morning for the 1st time! Thank you for sharing parts of your trip w/ us! What a gorgeous place...I want to be in Hawaii right now and drink some POG with you!! Will I ever travel there? I don't love flying...I know, conscious sedation!! Enjoy every moment! Cheers & Love to you both!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori - you made me laugh out loud first thing this morning - conscious sedation indeed! We will go to a warm exotic place soon - with or without... :) We are watching the snow totals on the TV and getting ready to go for a walk along the beach... Funny thing - the news reports all say "live" and they are from 5 hours ago!

      Delete